MILLION FAX MARCH ACTION PAGE:
(sends e-faxes for you, just submit the form)
A Bold Proposal For Comprehensive Gun Regulation
1) All gun ownership must be registered, which can be done perfectly well at the state level in every state. Currently this is done in only six states, but that alone demonstrates unquestionably it is constitutional. Without mandatory registration in all states there is no sound foundation on which other proposed reforms many operate, because now lax states are the source of most illegal gun traffic.
2) If states, having been given a reasonable time to implement their own gun ownership registration programs, fail to do so, the federal government by default should implement its own registration program applicable for those states. That should provide more than ample motivation for any states fearful of federal power to do so themselves, with strict limitations on how the federal government may access state records.
3) All gun registrations must be associated with a ballistics test on file. Had such a system been in place, the recent freeway sniper in AZ could have been identified after the first incident. If someone turns up dead with a bullet in them, it could be traced back to the gun owner responsible for the registration. This will also tend to discourage straw buyers.
4) After a grace period for all law-abiding gun owners to register their deadly weapons, possession of an unregistered gun must be a crime, and the weapon itself subject to immediate confiscation, tending to get unregistered guns off the street. If any gun is stolen, it must be reported promptly to the registration agency.
5) No person may acquire ownership of a registered gun without a background check, instant or otherwise, and transferred by a licensed gun dealer, whether sold through a store, at a gun show, or otherwise. If a private party wants to transfer a gun to another private party, licensed gun dealers must offer to facilitate such transfers for no more than a modest fee as a condition of their own right to be a licensed gun dealer.
The one click form below will send your personal message
(together with the petition text above)
to all your government representatives selected below, with the subject "A Bold Proposal For Comprehensive Gun Regulation." At the same time you can send your personal comments only as a letter to the editor of your nearest local daily newspaper if you like.